Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A nostalgia sandwich...with a grownupdate

When I was a kid, my dad made fried egg sandwiches often for my brother and me. I remember thinking they were a little weird and not really LOVING them all that much (probably because I got sick of them), but for my dad, they were a quick lunch or dinner to make us when it was just about time for another trip to the grocery store. And, although I loved- and still love- a good PB&J, a hot sandwich just feels more like comfort food.

Today, I got home from work after a long day (and a long commute in traffic) and I found myself hungry with limited dinner options. I haven't trekked to the grocery store lately...I looked in the fridge and saw eggs and sesame buns (the whole wheat ones from Trader Joe's- so good) and immediately thought of my dad. As a kid, I always reminded him to make mine with NO PEPPER, but today's version included freshly ground pepper and kosher salt on the two fried eggs. To add dimension in flavor, texture, and temperature, I topped the eggs with fresh sour pickles that my brother bought from a local Maryland farm over the weekend.


The result was incredible! I fried the eggs over medium, so the sandwich wasn't too messy to eat but I still had the yummy, slightly runny yolk that I love. The pickles were crunchy and cold and (dare I say) the perfect addition to my otherwise seemingly plain sandwich.

I know what I'll be eating for dinner the rest of this week, when I'll probably be similarly too busy (read: lazy) to grocery shop, too cheap to order out, and too hungry when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment