Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My History of Sandwiches

So while giving quite a bit of thought to the most memorable sandwiches I've had, I decided I would talk about some of them.  There are sandwiches I loved simply because the combination of ingredients or fillings caused my tastebuds to beg for more, and there are sandwiches I remember because of who I was with, or where I was when I ate them.

I've been eating grilled cheese sandwiches since I can remember.  I used to eat them with chicken noodle soup, and as I grew up I switched to tomato soup.  Moving on in my life I discovered that adding things like tomatoes, or bacon, or ham just made it that much better.  Definitely a sandwich that's good with soup on a cold rainy day.

When I was a teen, I remember the summers, and my mom always had all kinds of fresh cold cuts in the fridge.  She used to love the sandwiches I would make, because I could never decide what to put on them so I would just put some of everything...ham, cheese, turkey, roast beef, lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayo, mustard.

My high school BFF and I used to make the craziest egg sandwiches in the mornings after we had a sleepover.  She remembers them too...just recently she invited me for a visit and said she would even make  one for me in the morning.

For those of you that knew me when I lived in Houston, or when I worked there, there are two specific sandwiches that I think of...the first is from the Cool Beans Cafe in the MD Anderson Cancer Center.  I used to work there quite often and you could go to the cafe and have a wrap made to order.  I don't know if it was the tortilla and how they made it all soft and chewy when they steamed it, or the roasted red pepper sauce, or the contents, but I loved those things!!  And then there is the Italian Sandwich from Central Market.  A most amazing food, the perfect Italian Bread, fresh baked at the store, premium Italian meats and cheeses, and most importantly the lettuce, tomato, carmelized onions and roasted red peppers.  And of course, Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Every time I traveled to Houston for work I would make sure I went to CM for one of these sandwiches.  Who doesn't like a good Italian?  (Sorry WB, I couldn't help myself!!)

I am thinking that the closest I may get to that sandwich around these parts may be at a place like Wegman's, but have yet to get a sandwich there.

One last one I want to mention, and if you haven't tried it I think you must.  Bananas and Nutella on toast.  OMG!  Sometimes I have to have two because the first one tastes so good and I eat it so fast I have to have another so I can remember the experience!!

1 comment:

  1. YUM grilled cheese and tomato soup! That was my mom's specialty for making us a quick and satisfying dinner. I used to special request this meal all the time. Even in the summertime, in Florida, because it was just.that.good. Now, I crave this match made in heaven in the winter in DC (which makes a lot more sense). Future blog post- GC and TS. Mom's other sandwich specialty was the open faced Reuben. Delish. Moms know sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete