Sunday, July 22, 2012

Deli-cious

An interesting niche of wonderful sandwiches exists at grocery store deli counters. Although the readymade sandwiches at these counters can be great, there’s something sort of exciting about creating your own combination from all of the sandwich ingredient possibilities. As a Florida native, I have serious loyalty to the made-to-order Publix subs. I feel pretty guilty even trying to compare any deli counter sub to Publix. During my next trip to Florida, I’ll share more about Publix subs (and this phenomenal thing called an ‘ultimate Turkey’ from Hopkins’ Eatery in Tallahassee...).

In the meantime, I will tell you about my deli counter sandwich experience at a different grocery store- Whole Foods. Deli sandwiches are so great to take along on adventures. My friends and I planned to go tubing yesterday, and we stopped at a Whole Foods to pick up snacks and sandwiches and beer (these are a few of my favorite things)- all of the essentials for a few hours on the river. I was quite excited when I noticed the made-to-order sandwich option at the deli. I just love filling out the little form with all of the sandwich ingredient options. For today’s adventure, I selected fresh sourdough bread, grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, avocado, a delicious creamy dill havarti cheese, and a little bit of Dijon mustard.


It was a perfect sandwich to pack for our afternoon ahead.

Apparently, it can be ‘cold’ in July in NoVa, so tubing rapidly (get it? rapidly?) lost its luster. Although the weather did not cooperate with our tubing plans, we ended up on a different adventure- wine tasting nearby. After sampling several wines at 3 Fox vineyards, we purchased a bottle of 2011 Leggero Chardonnay to enjoy with our WF sammies. The wine was perfect with my dill havarti cheese! Wine and sandwich pairings…hmmm…food (and wine) for thought WB! I mentioned to the guy doing our wine tastings that the description of this particular chardonnay should have included: "pairs well with sandwiches."




Next up on our grocery store sandwichpants agenda is Wegman’s. Get ready!!

(photos taken by guestphotobloggerpants Dana "Ddubs.")

No comments:

Post a Comment