Friday, November 9, 2012

When sandwiches procreate.

There's a place called Frisco's near my office, and I have been eating their AWESOME sandwiches for years.  WB and I love going there, especially on Fridays, when their extensive wine selection is all case price (even just for one bottle).  I take advantage of the opportunity to stock up on favorite wines and to try out new ones.  I love picking a new bottle to try based on a cool name or creative, artistic label (like Flip Flop or Wrongo Dongo or Purple Cowboy).  But I digress- this blog is called sandwichpants, not winepants.

All of the sandwiches at Frisco's have San Francisco- themed names, like Nob Hill, Embarcadero, South of Market, Union Square, and Haight Ashbury.  At this point, I should probably share the fact that San Francisco is my favorite city, so reading through the menu always makes me nostalgic for all of the time I have spent there in the past.  For years, my favorite sandwich at Frisco's has been the Golden Gate, a vegetarian sandwich consisting of alfalfa sprouts, Monterey Jack cheese, caesar dressing, and- the highlight for me- delicious green avocado at the perfect stage of ripeness.  This sandwich, which comes on a thick-sliced whole grain bread, is so satisfying in its simplicity.

Recently, I discovered my love for another sandwich at Frisco's- the Alcatraz.  This turkey sandwich includes sprouts, tomato, avocado, and honey mustard sauce with a kick that you will notice. It's all piled on a fresh sourdough bread that reminds me of SF.

Today I was faced with a dilemma.  WB and I decided it was a Frisco's Friday, and as we called ahead to place our order, I struggled with the decision: Golden Gate or Alcatraz?  Although similar, there are a few key differences, and I really craved both today.  I said to WB: "if a Golden Gate and an Alcatraz made a baby together, that would be the perfect sandwich right now."  She encouraged me to say that when I placed my order, so I did just that.

The result:



This sandwich was seriously so incredible.  The whole grain bread was piled with turkey, Monterey Jack cheese, avocado, sprouts, and tomatoes, and drizzled in the honey mustard sauce.  I ate it so fast and I cannot WAIT to order this again.

Oh yeah! I was pretty excited when I saw what they wrote on the foil:


~Sandwichpants

No comments:

Post a Comment