Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mouthwatering, Melt-in-your-mouth "Burgers"

When a new BGR location opened in DC's Dupont circle a year or two ago, I was ecstatic.  A few years ago, I went to the Bethesda location and got hooked on the Greek, which is basically a gyro in the form of a lamb burger with onions, feta, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, and tzatziki sauce, all on a delicious BGR sesame brioche bun.

I returned to this place over the weekend with my good friend HG, a prolific food blogger.  (see her review of BGR here).

We shared the Greek, which just so happens to be the winner from an episode of the Food Network's Throwdown with Bobby Flay.  Try it, and you won't be surprised that it won.  We ordered it medium rare, which was definitely the way to go.  The side of grilled asparagus, perfectly crispy and seasoned with parmesan and pepper, will not disappoint.  My mouth is seriously watering right now as I wonder when I will next experience this sandwich.


HG and I also shared the Turkey Burger.  Let me tell you, this turkey burger absolutely blew me away.  Usually, when I order a turkey burger, I feel like I'm settling for a less tasty-albeit healthier- version of a "real" burger.  It usually feels like somewhat of a sacrifice.  However, THIS turkey burger is not like the rest.  It's laced with portabella mushrooms and Gorgonzola cheese, and it's so juicy, flavorful, and tender, that it actually melts in your mouth.  It's served on the same sesame brioche bun, and we ordered it with lettuce, tomato, pickles, grilled onions, and "mojo sauce." In a word: amazingpants.


If I were a beef burger right now, I'd be stressin'.

1 comment: