Monday, December 31, 2012

Shorts at Christmas!

One of my favorite traditions is making breakfast for my brother, Shorts, when we are home for holidays.  We have been eating these open-faced breakfast sandwiches we call "eggs in a nest" since we were kids.  It's simple, delicious, and a much more exciting twist on your standard egg-and-toast breakfast.

The first step is to toast the bread slightly, to give it a head start before it hits the pan.  Then, cut circles out.  I always use the same glass that reminds me of my Granny.

Place the bread and circles in a well buttered and medium-heated pan.  I like to ensure there is a little melted butter on both sides of the bread.  Crack an egg into each opening, and cook the eggs to your preference.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.



I love my yolks a little runny; it makes a yummy sauce on your plate for the bread circles, which, in my opinion, are the BEST part about this breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment