Monday, January 21, 2013

BBQ Sandwich, outside, in January?

One of my favorite places in DC is a restaurant/bar/coffee shop called Open City.  Famous for their delicious all day breakfast menu (which features items such as a chorizo scramble and multigrain pancakes), this is a go-to spot for me when I need to relax- alone, with my laptop, or with a close friend.

A major draw of this place is the outdoor seating, a patio overlooking Rock Creek Park and tucked away from the bustle of Connecticut Avenue.  When it's really nice out, there's this indoor-outdoor living feeling, as they open the huge windows to provide fresh air for even the patrons seated inside.

During my recent visit there, on an uncharacteristically warm January afternoon, HG and I sat in the bright sunshine for some sandwiches, beer, and a catchup session.

In my 5+ years living here, I have eaten a lot of the sandwiches on their menu, but I decided to try something new.  I narrowed down my selection to either the tuna melt or the BBQ Pork, but the waiter made my selection easy when he said "BBQ, all day long."

This was a deliciously messy sandwich.  I needed extra napkins, but it was SO worth it.  The meat was so tender and juicy, and I loved the contrast between the subtle housemade barbeque sauce and the vinegar-y cabbage-apple slaw served on the sandwich, which added flavor without overwhelming the meat.  I appreciated that the sesame potato bun was strong enough to stand up to the meat, sauce, and slaw without falling apart.  The sandwiches at Open City now come a la carte, and I ordered brussels sprouts on the side. They were perfect.

Okay, I'm ready for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment